Wednesday, April 9, 2008

JPL Open House, May 3 & 4

Pasadena's Jet Propulsion Laboratory is having their annual open house this year on May 3 and 4th. I went to the open house in 2006 and had a great time. If you have kids, bring them, they will be delighted. It's like a county fair for really smart people, with booths staffed by actual scientists and engineers detailing the various space and weather programs in progress at JPL. When I went I had fun listening to bright kids ask the JPL scientists intelligent questions and receiving detailed, informative answers.

I also enjoyed peeking at the ultra high-end machining processes and exotic materials used to build satellites, probes and rovers. Fun stuff.

Here is a set of photos I took that day.

For a really good time, read up on the life of JPL co-founder and noted occultist Jack Parsons before you go. You won't be disappointed.

No comments: